Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park--Kilauea Iki Crater and Thurston Lava Tube

This is a little distance from the Overlook where we stopped first.  In fact, if you look in the distance you can see the busy little crater.  There's a hike that you can take across the Kilauea Iki Crater, but we never found the time to do it.  It would have been a perfect day for it, too, with the overcast skies and cooler temperatures.  I don't think my photo is large enough to see the people, but there are people walking along the trail in the photo.


Thurston Lava Tube

Just before we step into the darkness.

I'm glad I don't suffer from claustrophobia.  The tube was decently lit and actually quite short in distance, but you wouldn't know it as you step into the realm of the underworld.

Water was dripping everywhere.  At times we had to hop over puddles or balance along the little bit of dry ground that was available.


My husband the vulcan.  :-)


I now understand the meaning of the term:  "The light at the end of the tunnel."

No comments:

Post a Comment