Saturday, July 31, 2010

Father-daughter bonding moment

One of the reasons I discovered an interest in photography and storytelling was because of my parents.  As a little girl, I would "borrow" (sometimes for weeks at a time) my mom's photo albums.  She took photos of everything and recorded the events for us.  My dad, on the other hand, was the creative photographer.  During our two-year stay on Midway Island, he took slide after slide of "goony birds" (albatross), the beaches, and the lagoon.  When we moved to Oregon, he used the darkroom in his dental office to develop incredible black and white photos.  Many of our weekend family jaunts included Dad taking photos of waterfalls, Dad taking photos of the coast, and Dad taking photos of the fog-filled forest.  Well, it's my turn now (insert gleeful squeal).

I'm very much the amateur photographer, but I love it.  And I take every chance I can to try something new.  We took the kids to a waterfall near my folks' house (we'll see if my family members recognize it when they see the photos) and while my mom, hubby, and two brothers played with the kids, my dad coached me in taking some waterfall shots.  The photos turned out great, but more importantly I got to spend time doing something with my dad that I had wanted to do since I was a little girl.  That in itself makes these photos more priceless than all the gold in the world.

9 comments:

  1. Kristin says: What a beautiful thing to share. Thank you.
    And oh yes, I recognize that waterfall as our family visited the same one just a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pictures, Kimber. Very lush. (I recognize the falls, too.)

    I'd love to have larger versions of them. You really got good color. I'd love to have been there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful! I recognize the falls but don't remember the name. How fun to follow in Dad's footsteps with him there to mentor you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top one is on my computer's wallpaper right now, since it's better than most of the shots you'll find on the internet, even from the pros who are selling their shots.

    She's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Spirit Falls, Kelly.

    Lia, e-mail me about which photos you'd like and what size.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your photos of the falls are gorgeous! Love the streaming of the water and the lighting looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete