Sunday, September 30, 2012

The End of a Chapter: Butterfly

This morning, we noticed the pupa had grown transparent and dark. And when we returned home from church, we discovered this. . .




Can you believe that beautiful, huge body fit inside that tiny package? I didn't realize how strong the webbing and connection between the wall and the pupa was, either. For something that looked so fragile, it took quite a bit of effort on our son's part to peel the pupa off the side of the container so he could study it.



It would have been lovely to see the butterfly emerge from its pupa, but I was able to capture some video footage of its first wing-strokes, and our son was able to hold it while it strengthened its wings. This afternoon, we all released it outside, where it sat in our apricot tree before flying away with (amazingly) a second monarch butterfly.

I'll have to admit, I never thought I'd get teary-eyed over an insect, but when our son exclaimed, "Oh! I'm so glad I saved her life!" as she flew away, I'll admit I shed a few tears. This has been a tender experience for our family, and a fascinating event to study. What miracles exist around us in this world of ours!

2 comments:

  1. I love the look you captured on his face. Oh, that boy. He is so wonderful. All of your children are. I LOVE these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was fast. Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us!

    ReplyDelete