Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How do you like your eggs: scrambled, poached, or. . .frozen?







It's so cold right now (it was around -11F this morning) that when our chickens lay eggs, they freeze. When my husband picked these eggs up they had cracked, so he opened them up and dropped them into a bowl. . .in a solid chunk. They still taste yummy, though.

By the way, the chickens are fine.  We have a heat lamp on them where they roost, and they huddle together for warmth.  It's just the "abandoned" eggs that suffer.  If we don't collect them right away, this is how we find them.

6 comments:

  1. I've had eggs many different ways, but never frozen. I don't ever want to feel what -11 feels like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nor do I! I'm glad the poor little chookies have a heat lamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how they would be poached... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, interesting. Never thought about it but I guess that is what would happen. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought they would freeze while in the shell. lol They sell frozen egg beaters so it probably won't hurt the eggs.

    By the way the pictures are so vibrant and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete