Monday, November 15, 2010

It's a True Talent

My four-year-old hasn't quite kicked the habit of "helping herself" to many of her siblings' possessions while they're at school.  Today she "borrowed" my oldest daughter's deodorant--and used it (but at least she used it correctly).

Now before anyone judges me as being a distracted mother, let me fill you in on her strategy--or ability to seize the moment, rather.  At lunchtime she spilled a cup of water on herself accidentally.  I sent her to change her clothes while I cleaned up the mess and took the wet laundry into the utility room.  She's quick--in more ways than one.  Somehow while changing her clothes the idea must have dawned on her that deodorant was needed.  She sees her teenage sister using it; why not her, right?  So she helped herself. . .and hid it in her room for future convenience.

I noticed the scent, but thought she had put on some lotion, which she is allowed to get for herself. . .now that she's learned not to put it on the carpet.  After supper, however, when my oldest complained of the missing item, I made the connection and sent the kids on a search.  The deodorant was found and returned to its rightful place.

As we headed downstairs for a family night, my second daughter confided to me, "It's okay, Mom.  I know where all her hiding places are."  Instantly a little head popped around the corner and exclaimed, "Nope.  There's still one!"

8 comments:

  1. The things I have to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Ha! Ha! This makes me laugh. I know most of mine's hiding places and have forbidden her from being in my room or bathroom unaccompanied. If she needs something from my bathroom I have to pay attention to the time or I regret it every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! Makes me grateful my 6 year old son is only sneaking Halloween candy and not trying to wear his teenage sisters makeup. He really wanted nail polish at about 4!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a precious story Kimber. I love it. Aren't little ones just a hoot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimber - a wonderful little story, beautifully told! It's brightened up my day and made me remember all those magic times when my children were small! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes me wonder where that last hiding place is...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering that, too, Kelly. :-)

    ReplyDelete